One of the most important things when buying wigs and hair extensions is choosing the right hair fiber. Human hair and synthetic hair both come with their own advantages and disadvantages. Yet, which one should you choose? Let’s take an overall look at human hair vs synthetic hair before you make any decision.
Human hair vs synthetic hair – Pros and cons
Human hair pros and cons
Pros of human hair
- Versatility in styling: Human hair wigs provide the same coloring, perming, and styling options as your real hair. You can style and dye the hair to change the look you want.
- Texture: You may very nearly match your own hair texture with human hair wigs because they come in a variety of textures.
- Longevity: Human hair is more durable compared to synthetic hair. With proper care, human hair items can last a year to three years.
- Look natural: Among different types of the hair fiber for wigs and hair extensions, human hair provides the most natural look and movement. Since the hair is collected from humans, you can have the look and feel just like your real hair when wearing it.
Cons of human hair
- More expensive: Human hair wigs and extensions normally cost more than synthetic ones. The average price falls between $700 and $3,500.
- Require extra care: Human hair wigs require regular washing, deep conditioning, and styling just like your real hair. You should set up a hair care routine for your wigs and hair extensions.
- Less resistant to humidity and weather than synthetic wigs: Human hair wigs respond to the weather like your real hair would, and depending on the conditions, they may become frizzy, limp, or dry.
- Color can fade over time: A human hair wig’s color will oxidize or fade when exposed to light.
Synthetic hair pros and cons
Pros of synthetic hair
- Lower in price: Synthetic wigs and hair extensions come at a lower price than human hair ones. They normally cost from $30 to $500
- Low maintenance: Synthetic items are easy to take care of. They do not require much maintenance. The pre-style can be maintained through washes.
- Various styles and colors: Buying many synthetic wigs will allow you to experiment with different hues and looks without having to visit a hairstylist.
- Lightweight and ready to use
Cons of synthetic hair
- Unnatural look: Synthetic hair often has a shine that makes it look unnatural.
- Less durable: Synthetic hair does not last long. With daily wear, synthetic hair can last around 4 to 6 months.
- Less versatile: Synthetic hair does not come with styling versatility. Synthetic hair cannot be straightened or curled using heat styling tools.
- Can’t be dyed: Recoloring synthetic wigs are not advised, and regular hair dye won’t stick to the fibers.
Which one should you choose?
At the end of the day, the best hair fiber is the one that suits you best. Hence, make sure to take into consideration the style you want, your time, and your budget before you make a decision.
Human hair brings a more natural look. So, it’s the best choice for those who seek to achieve a brilliant look with their hair. Yet, if you use the hair temporarily and don’t want to invest a large amount of money in it, synthetic hair will be an option.
How to differentiate human hair and synthetic hair?
Because human hair products are expensive, it’s important to learn basic ways to make sure that your human hair product is not blended with synthetic fiber. Below are some tips to test human hair:
1. Compared to mixed fiber or synthetic fiber, human hair can be heated at a greater temperature. To test the hair, you can try flat ironing a small piece of hair. Synthetic fiber can withstand temperatures up to about 120 degrees Celsius. Whereas, human hair allows temperatures as high as 230 degrees Celsius. Human hair does not smell like chemicals when heated, unlike synthetic fiber.
2. Synthetic and human hair burn at different rates. You can identify which one it is if you burn a piece of the hair product. Human hair burns to ashes and smells like a barbecue or burning feather afterward. However, the product will melt into a solid and have a strong chemical smell if it is combined with any synthetic fiber.
So, if you are considering human hair vs synthetic hair, let’s read our comparison above and choose the one that suits you best!